Author Topic: Screen shot posting  (Read 9027 times)

PFP Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Screen shot posting
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:45:27 PM »
In Windows, you have two options. Press the Print Screen (or PrtScn) key on your keyboard to copy the entire screen to the clipboard. Press Alt-Print Screen to copy only the active window. Next you'll need to open an image editor (Microsoft Paint, which comes with Windows, is fine if you don't plan on doing any fancy editing), create a new file, and select Paste from the Edit menu.

You have more choices on a Macintosh. Pressing Command-Shift-3 creates a PICT file of the entire screen in the top directory of your boot drive. Press Command-Shift-4 to change the cursor to a cross, which you can click and drag to select an area of the screen to capture in a PICT file. The same combination with Caps Lock activated changes the cursor to a circle; click a window with the circle to create a PICT of that window. Adding the Control key to any of these combinations copies the screen image to the clipboard.

For X Window desktops such as GNOME and KDE, the command xwd -out filename.xwd lets you click a window to make an XWD image of it. Adding the -frame option will capture the entire window manager. The popular utility xv also does screen captures, and KDE comes with the utility ksnapshot.

Finally, if you plan to edit the screenshot before using it on your Web site or elsewhere, be sure to save it in a true image format. Don't make the screenshot endure GIF reduction or JPEG encoding twice.

Then if you want upload the image to a hosting company such as http://photobucket.com/ which is free.

Then to post the image in a forum surround the link with img codes like below.

Code: [Select]
[img]you files link[/img]

cow344

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Screen shot posting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »
Please make post easier to find.  I believe we all have seen to many questions from people about this subject.  Thank you for consideration.  ;D  ;)

JOE_1280615

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • QPTO
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »
I agree with Cow about the sticky.    I find everytime I want to do a screenshot i have to look up (how to do). this is something every one should read 
"A Good Friend is someone who you can call to bail you out of jail. But a Best Friend is someone who is sitting right next to you in jail saying, "Damn that was fun, let's do it again!"

badboy98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »
thanks for the info , never tryed to take a screan shot , if i make some thing big i will popst one

spike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »
thanks for the info

underdog140

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »
Thank you very much this was very helpfull.
Was wondering how to do a screen shot.
Now off I go to get a win I want use my new skill(screen shot)
LOL
Solution to the glass is half full - half empty ......

If you are taken something out of the glass than its half empty if you are putting something in the glass than its half full.. 

underdog140

underdog140

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »
OK I got paint up and  followed the instruction's but
can t figure out how to get the screen shot from the paint
on to here.How do you transfer the screen shot onto one off these
post.

If you are taken something out of the glass than its half empty if you are putting something in the glass than its half full.. 

underdog140

micron1

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »
thank you for screen shot tip i will try it soon have a good one good day sir

puzzykat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
i still can't get a screenshot.  i have tried and tried.  i just gotta get this down.  it is very frustrating.  i'm about to just give up.  i have tried most of your suggestions but still nothing is working for me.... :-[
it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

underdog140

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »
i still can't get a screenshot.  i have tried and tried.  i just gotta get this down.  it is very frustrating.  i'm about to just give up.  i have tried most of your suggestions but still nothing is working for me.... :-[

I cant get it either.I can get the shot on paint but cant post it anywheres elses.

underdog140

ninetyduece

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 04:26:10 AM »
this is rough bro no offense but where just poker players. i love computers but damn. can i just take a pic of it or something?

Baybee_Dollz

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:05:21 AM »
If you take a pic of it, there are more steps involved in posting it.... Listen, it's easy.

Go to Photobucket and sign up for a free account.

Taking a screen shot:
  1. press the Print Screen button.
  2. Open Paint
  3. Click Edit at the top of your screen
  4. Click Paste
  5. Click File at the top of your screen
  6. Click "Save As" and name it.

7. Go to Photobucket and upload it there.

Photo bucket makes it easy to post in forums. With each pic, it gives you the tags to use, to post in a forum you need the image tag ( it starts like this [IMG] )

Simply copy and paste the [IMG] tag to your post and the pic will show up.

Please Messenger me and I will walk you through it while we are on messenger.

cow344

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »
If you take a pic of it, there are more steps involved in posting it.... Listen, it's easy.

Go to Photobucket and sign up for a free account.

Taking a screen shot:
  1. press the Print Screen button.
  2. Open Paint
  3. Click Edit at the top of your screen
  4. Click Paste
  5. Click File at the top of your screen
  6. Click "Save As" and name it.

7. Go to Photobucket and upload it there.

Photo bucket makes it easy to post in forums. With each pic, it gives you the tags to use, to post in a forum you need the image tag ( it starts like this [IMG] )

Simply copy and paste the [IMG] tag to your post and the pic will show up.

Please Messenger me and I will walk you through it while we are on messenger.

You make look as if it is easy!  But the people I run across I tell them there are two big steps to look at!  Step 1 is saving image to your hard drive  and step 2 is bringing to the web!

I tell them the Print Screen button is the 4th button to the left of top right hand corner of keyboard!  I also tell them you can paste in MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point and Word Pad, just remember to save this as a image or picture and not as a document.

Do not mean to offend but most people are in a panic when they screw up and if you expand description it makes them read and think clearly Baybee_Dollz !