Author Topic: Poker.....Friendly game or Cut throat?  (Read 3367 times)

TicketMan4u

• Members
    • View Profile
Poker.....Friendly game or Cut throat?
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »
The game we call Poker has many variations and is called by many names. We commonly hear people talk about playing a "friendly game" of poker but is it ever really friendly? One I think of many times when I'm playing is called "cut throat" but I must admit I have no idea how its played. The reason it comes to mind is the way some players choose to play in games where the top 25, 100, 250, or whatever number they chose advance to the next round. I've noticed some players whose chip stack has attained a level that would guarantee them winning a ticket still feel it necessary to raise pre flop against short stacked players to a level forcing them to either go all in or fold. Why do they feel it necessary to try to force these players out right before the bubble? Are they in that much of a hurry to get their ticket and go on to their next game? Why can't they just sit back and let the short stacks play it out? Why can't they let us see the flop before we decide to go all in? Why? Cause I think they're jerks. I use to play all public freerolls before I learned about forums. Since then I started playing a lot of private password games with forum members also. Forum members for the most part seem to be much nicer players than most. They congratulate each other on nice, well played hands and they don't get mad when someone fills a longshot hand on the river and puts them out. At least most of them. Its the other few that I'm talking about. Now this is not about the name callers, and the cussers, the perves, etc. I'm talking about the ones where the game pays the top 25 a ticket. There's say 30 left in the game. He's got say 15,000 chips and you got 2,000. The blinds are 200/400. You are in the SB or BB position so there goes another 200/400 out of your stack. His position is set. He's got a ticket. All he's got to do is sit out and wait for the final hand. But no, he feels it necessary to put out all the short stackers so the game will be over. So he bets 1200 or whatever. So much that you either have to call or fold. You have J, 10 suited and would have liked to have seen the flop before you committed the last of your chip stack to the pot but now Mr. Impatient has forced you to make a decision. Do I go all in this close to the bubble and risk getting a flop like 3, 4, 5. Or do I fold and watch my short stack get smaller and take a chance on my next hole cards being something like 2, 7 or 3, 8. I've found myself in this spot many times and sadly I've chose to go all in and lost right before the bubble. Play all that time just to have some jerk with all the chips think it necessary to put another short stacker out of his misery by constantly raising to get me to fold when I had marginal hole cards so he could steal my blinds until I got to a point where my stack was so low I had to push and make a move. Many times I lost. I'm sure they felt very superior to me. I'm sure they felt like big time poker players bluffing me out of my blinds with their big raises backed up with their big stacks. I call them bullies. I don't like to play with them but I find them most nights it seems almost at every table. But.....when I play private forum games thankfully I find a lot of players who are just there for a "friendly game". I'm glad I found this place and others like it. Thank you PFPAdmin for all the hard work you do to keep this place up and going everyday.

asz

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Poker.....Friendly game or Cut throat?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
here here! very well put ticketman. and yes there does always seem to be that player you spoke of at the tables. my personal thought on that player reflects too him, and his personal need to be the man! perhaps he was short changed in life concerning his manliness! or maybe he (that player that cant see past THEIR own nose) was the punk smart mouth who always got beat up at recess.either way, the higher the head count. the greater the possible reasons. and since that player  will never see the light due to THEIR own personal grievances with life. we will, just have too live past the issue, that they will never understand humankind! 

peace  asz

stephenwei

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »
Lol,ticketman4u.
You put so long post here.
Nice post.
But it is some difficult for me to read.
To get it easy,I use the translate tools.

I agree with you.
But it is fact.
"winning a ticket still feel it necessary to raise pre flop against short stacked players to a level forcing them to either go all in or fold. Why do they feel it necessary to try to force these players out right before the bubble"
Why they do it.
I think poker is not friendly.
In my country, they said poker is war.
If you mercy ,u will suck .
So somebody play deepstacks  always raise to steal blind.
That is the way to keep their chips grow.
And they can win the game with good money.
But when I play for ticket.
I will not to do that .
I only raise with good hands to keep chips.
Then i wait for the less chips to fight.

Does I like a fishman?

asz

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »
yes stephen it is a war!! and like most wars only the living are the ones remaining to tell the tale!! but i will tell you one simple tip in war at the felt. there is no set program. as a good player among our forums has chosen to take his name on some sites. variance is the key. so many tactics so many hands. and each has a new and different tactic.who is in, who is chip low, chip high, so on and on.... dont forget then there is position and who came in and what is their chip position and do they gamble or are they tight players. war is right but who has the nuke and who is willing to push the button   that is the real question..

peace  asz

stephenwei

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »
Hi,asz. I agree with you.
When I played with you at one table.
I think you are very hard to deal with.
I don;t know when u are cbet,when u have real good hands.
I think you always raise when you came to play.
Good luck to see you win at 365Bounties. It is a nice game.
I am coming .
Becareful. ;D ;D

TicketMan4u

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
Many of y'all seem to understand but I think some may have missed the main point of my tirade. I wrote it right after playing a PFN qualifier freeroll where the top 25 players won tickets to the buy-in game later that night. I understand poker is like war and the goal in most tournaments is to wipe out your opponents and be the final one. In this tournament though the top 25 were winners so why did this one player whose position was already set with his big chip stack feel it necessary to continue to try to wipe out the smaller stack players. That was what I was writing about.

asz

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 12:50:49 AM »
i think you are right. and yes i got it. i saw it, and was thinking the very same thing. but my answer is still the same he is a creepy little man who has nothing in self esteem or self worth and compensates this self loathing by bully a situation which he has the upper hand in. and for this brief pop analysis i wont  ask a thing. but i cant wait tell the rat is under my shoe. cause what goes around comes around. let the karma flow like a river untamed.

peace  asz

pokernewbiee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »
Well, it depends on the type of opponents you are playing with as well as your motive of playing poker. If you are playing with friends just for the motive of fun or entertainment, then it can be a friendly game.

If you are playing against some serious pros to win some prize pool, then of course it will be a cut throat game.......... 8)

underdog140

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
IMO

Some people are just not good(smart) players.Most good(smart) players would realize they are not playing for first place but top 25(or what ever it is)and if they are on bubble with lots of chips only play top hands other players play it as a normal game and play it as they are going for first place.I am sure we all seen chip leaders that would easily make it ITM or top X to win a ticket out on bubble.

Most players that do that play only that style.Bet - hope it hits - maby bluff if it don't -  repeat.With some all ins.

Not always the case - Maby the player is getting good hands and the right move is to bet them or raise enough to make the short stack go all in.

Solution to the glass is half full - half empty ......

If you are taken something out of the glass than its half empty if you are putting something in the glass than its half full.. 

underdog140