Author Topic: what kinda bet should a newbie start off with  (Read 12933 times)

ericthegreat

• Members
    • View Profile
what kinda bet should a newbie start off with
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:06:48 PM »
should i play a straight bet? or go after the trifecta exacta or some other kinda of bet. what does everybody else do? how are the online odds compared to playing at a track or otb site.

cow344

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: what kinda bet should a newbie start off with
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
First thing you have to do is bet on what you know and start small.  Doing the tri's you better have your facts straight!  What type of track weather are your horses good on mud.  Even find out how often the track is groomed!

No blind bets.  Most odds given are close may it be live and on-line.  Just get your info straight and keep it straight.

jimma97

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:44 PM »
if your just starting out id play like a 2 win place show tickets till you get the feel for horse betting you gotta know your horses their best times on the tracks good in the mud even who the jockeys are they can make the difference alot of the time gl at the track

cow344

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »
If you look at it that way just do place and show and no big bets.  If they have those options, do not do the just win for a while!

Make sure you bet on what you know and not some one else!  Get all your stats ahead of time and not at the track.  I forgot about the jockeys!  If they do not give that out until the beginning of races do not bet.  I had to local tracks do that.  One went under and the other is close to it.

Make sure you know what length of track they are running.  Are you betting on sprinters or trotters.

Made more money with the trotters.  They are more consistent, also more tracks nearby for me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:50:58 PM by cow344 »

ericthegreat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »
thanks for the information i just might try my luck tonight. Maybe it will change sure hasnt been that good at the tables lately

zatchmo

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
i started out betting exactas, theyre fun to play, especially when you hit longshots!

Dookdrawls

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
I have a OTB less that 3 minutes from my house and I hardly ever go.  I do not fully understand how to calculate all odds and best bets, but I have managed to break even and maybe even win so far.  The last time I went, I had around a $2 trifecta ticket hit, one of them was a longshot and it lined up right at the finish line.  I walked out that night with $125.00 win from a $2 ticket.  Man I would love to know how to make a more educated bet to possibly maximize my winning potential, just don't understand it. 

Later,
A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.

Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774

zforfree

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PokerSportsMore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
2 dollars win place show ;D

zforfree

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PokerSportsMore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 10:14:57 AM »
looking for user friendly online betting site for horses any info be appreciated ;D

zforfree

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PokerSportsMore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
been using a site called equibase, were you can get charts for a price, but they have a daily free chart and usually a free chart for the big race on the weekend